Live Labs 2: Carbon Analysis & Research Programme Support
The FHRG is supporting many of the Live Labs 2 programmes with a range of tailored support packages.
1. Carbon Footprint Baselines & Live Labs 2 Waypoint Assessments
Comprising whole-service carbon footprint assessments using the CCAS methodology; with data analysis and reporting conducted using Carbon Analyser. Where applicable, this analysis will be undertaken annually and will enable each of the participating organisations to demonstrate their Live Labs programmes in context of their wider journey to net-zero emissions.
2. Experimental Carbon Profiles: Development & Testing
Designed specifically to support the Live Labs 2 programme, Experimental Carbon Profiles (ECPs) enable each Live Labs programme to identify and assess the quantitative and qualitative factors under test. ECPs can be used to identify the research variables to establish the benefits and dis-benefits of each innovation. Isolating the experimental variables enables benchmarking with established activities, methods, and materials; both within the Live Labs community and more widely across the membership of the FHRG and ADEPT.
The qualified benefits, costs, and risks, scaled using FHRG datasets to the sector, will illustrate the wider cases for adoption. These form key deliverables of the Live Labs 2 programme.
3. Programme & Deliverables Assessment Scorecards
To ensure the robustness and consistency of qualitative assessments across the Live Labs 2 programmes, the FHRG has developed a range of calibrated, balanced scorecards, including:
- Research Excellence Assessment (82 assessed factors).
- Research Attractiveness & Achievability scorecard; including a research applications assessment.
- Service-Level Value for Money Assessment (144 assessed factors, from the FHRG VfM Benchmarking Club).
- Economy, Efficiency, Effectiveness, Strategic Value, Stakeholder Value, Sustainability and Mutuality scorecard.
- Using the r19 version of the FHRG VfM Benchmarking Club factor set.
- Function/Activity-Level Value for Money Assessment (77 assessed factors).
- Tailorable for specific highways activities.
- Programme & Project Assessment (54 assessed factors).
- Programme Attractiveness & Achievability scorecard.
With data consolidated in a shared Microsoft® Azure® Carbon Dataverse, the FHRG support programme provides rigorous processes, tools, and datasets for Live Labs 2 community.
More information on Live Labs 2 is available here.
About the FHRG Carbon Calculation & Accounting Standard Guidance
A principal research theme of the FHRG is climate change, including the measurement, reporting, and reduction of carbon emissions across LHA supply chains. A lack of standardisation in the UK highways sector has led to highly fragmented approaches to carbon measurement, carbon accounting and carbon reduction. As a response, the FHRG has developed the Carbon Calculation & Accounting Standard (CCAS) as guidance for FHRG and ADEPT members.
The CCAS document provides pragmatic, step-by-step guidance for Local Highways Authorities (LHAs) and their supply chain partners in implementing the GHG (greenhouse gas) protocols for measuring and reporting carbon emissions. Collaboratively developed by 19 organisations from across the sector, guidance will encourage sector-wide standardisation, enabling carbon benchmarking and informed decision making for a low carbon future.