Please show your support for the five immediate priorities for a green recovery.
As the UK develops its plans for recovery from Covid-19, action at the local level will be crucial in delivering healthier communities and a stronger more resilient economy by linking recovery to net-zero emissions and nature restoration. Local authorities must be essential partners in this delivery.
ADEPT is part of a coalition of local government, environmental, and research organisations that has published a blueprint which sets out the national leadership, policies, powers and funding needed to empower local authorities to deliver at scale, working together with communities and businesses. In developing the blueprint we have drawn extensively on the direct experience of many local authorities that have declared a climate emergency and developed local strategies.
The coalition has sent the blueprint to the Government and senior officials, and we are now trying to build even broader support for it in the run up to COP26. We are asking councils, professional bodies, academic institutions and NGOs to support the priorities.
Please show your support for this initiative to secure more powers and resources for councils to take action on climate change and nature restoration, and to build back better from Covid-19. Please click on the link below to show your support the five priority recommendations:
- Invest in low-carbon and climate-resilient infrastructure including public transport, renewable energy and electric vehicle charging
- Support reskilling, retraining and research to accelerate the move to a net-zero economy
- Upgrade our homes to ensure they are fit for the future
- Make it easy for people to walk, cycle, and work remotely
- Accelerate tree planting, peatland restoration, green spaces and other green infrastructure
Note: This indicates broad support for these priorities as a good basis to negotiate with government, it does not mean that you can support every detailed policy recommendation in the main blueprint report.